Is Multi-vitamin syrup recommendable for chronic cough and cold?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: My wife is getting cough cold followed by throat infection very frequently now a days.
Sometimes this follows fever as well.
She used to take Amoxicilin tablet (Mox 500) and Paracetamol tab (Dolo 650) for this.
When start coughing, she takes Grilintus syrup.

Any multivitamine syrup you recommend?
Looks like her immunity power has reduced.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow the advises.. maintain a healthy lifestyle..

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear XXXXXXX Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern..

Chronic cough with recurrent cold and throat infection needs to be treated more aggressively..

First of all let me know - how long she's having this cough ? is it dry/productive ? if phlegma comes out then what's the color?

Seasonal change can also reactivates micro-organism and attacks the lower immune person..so yes low immunity can definitely play a role in it..

She can start taking Cap COBADEX-CZS 1 Cap daily after breakfast for the next one month and see how she stays..

No need to take multivitamin syrup, in adults with ability to eat and drink, syrup is not recommended, so the Capsule will do ..

Please don't take the antibiotics on -off cause they will become resistant to the bugs then , and every time there'll be a need for a higher generation until there's none left.. only take antibiotic medications under strict medical supervision and always finish the full course..

Now if the cough's persistent for for than 2 weeks then I'd advice you to go for Sputum-AFB x 3 days(early morning's first sample) along with a Chest X-Ray as well as throat Swab for Gram staining and culture sensitivity..

Let me know if you're having any further queries..

Take Care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 11 minutes later
Thanks sir for the advice.
>> how long she's having this cough ? is it dry/productive ? if phlegma comes out then what's the color?

XXXXX>> She has just started coughing 2/3 days. It is usually dry cough. She feels pain in throat while eating. Basically throat infection has occured. She takes honey, warm water, ginger tea as well. The only thing now a days very frequently she is getting cough & cold. Anyways thanks for the prescription. I will start giving the tablet COBADEX-CZS as you prescribed.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry, however routine and timely follow-up to continue..

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Welcome back ,

Thanks for following up,

Well it's good that the cough is only for 2-3 days and with the list of symptoms that you've mentioned , it's most likely a viral infection(pain in throat while swallowing can be due to pharyngitis or even tonsillitis, needs physically examined for the same)..

Yes she's already taking good supplements , let her continue them and please consider adding Soup(Chicken/Veg) along with.. drink a lot of water to stay well hydrated..

Try to avoid citrus fruits and sour components for the time being as they tend to worsen further recovery..

Please Continue Cobadex-CZS and let me know in due course how she stays..

Try taking steam inhalation also 3-4 times a day , it'll sooth her throat and help in recovering faster..

Like I've advised previously, for now, only throat Swab for Gram staining and Culture Sensitivity is required for further evaluation..

Also it's good time to find out if she's allergic to any object / food / drugs /pollen / dust / mites because they tend to cause this also..

Don't worry , she'll get better in a few days..Let me know if you're having any further doubts..

My Best Wishes

Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 17 hours later
Thank you Sir.
There is no cough now.
However, she has severe throat infection.
She feels pain while swallowing.
I can see wounds like white spot (similar to the ones we used to have in our mouths) near to the end of throat.
So it looks like tonsillitis. She used to have tonsillitis before as well when gets cold.
So just want to know if any antibiotic other than Amoxicilin is required.

From the allergy point, she is definitely allergic to dust.
Yes, there are still construction works going on around our place. We keep our door window closed.
But, still we cannot rule out the dust completely.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow the Advises as below..

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back Dear,

Thanks for following up,

Well it's good that she's not having any cough now, but going through your description it can be pharyngitis or even tonsillitis and if she's having difficulty in speaking or hoarseness of voice it can be even laryngitis , needs agressively managed..

No Amoxicillin won't do it..don't start it..

At this point she should be put on Tab AZITHROMYCIN 500 mg Once Daily for the next 10 days..(don't stop it in between as she'll be starting to feel better within a few days)..(you need to check in to your local physician to get a prescription for this)

Continue steam inhalation 3-4 times a day..

Cap PANTOPRAZOLE 40 mg Once Daily before breakfast for next 2 weeks..

Chlorhexidine mouth wash and gargle 3 times a day..

Avoidance of allergy is must else it'll take unnecessarily longer duration to cure also on-off recurrence..

If can't rule out dust completely then you can consider installing Air-purifiers at home, it's a fantastic device which can reduce allergic and seasonal respiratory tract infections to a minimal..

Other than this all other advises mentioned previously including well-hydration, hot liquids, avoidance of citrus components all to continue..

Don't worry she'll get better soon..try to avoid dust as much as possible, if cant get air-purifier soon , try using face mask for the time being..

Take Care

Kind Regards