Is Misoprostol safe to use?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I had sex with my gf on 26th July the same day she take an i pill,her periods date is on 29th and its not started yet , she tested with a pregnancy kit it shows positive result.,also this is for the first time we had sex , can she take MT pill on this Saturday ,2nd august,(mifepristone tablets 200mg)and misoprostol 200mg (3 table) also prescribe how to use these tablets ,is it safe pls help me
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
NO CHANCE OF PREGNANCY. NO NEED TO WORRY.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) You DID unprotected sex in SAFEST PERIOD (last 5 days before period due date - extremely safe) and she took I-PILL additionally within first 24 hrs which will give more than 95% protection against unwanted pregnancy. In this case, she has NO chance of pregnancy.

2) I suggest to wait at least 7 to 10 days to get period like withdrawal bleeding. Late period occurs due to hormonal imbalance (effect of the I-pill) and mental stress. She must take healthy diet and avoid stress by meditation or yoga.

3) As there is NO chance of pregnancy, I wouldn't suggest any kind abortion pill. It will give adverse health effect if taken without proper indication.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish her good health and practice safe sex always.

Dr S Patra

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 6 hours later
But the pregnancy kit shows its positive how can I confirm whether she is pregnant or not if pregnant can she take Mt pill and misoprostol ,also tell me hw to use it
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
FOLLOW THE ADVICE.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

If her period due date is 29th of July and you did sex on 26th, then there is NO chance of pregnancy as it was your first sex on SAFE PERIOD.

Pregnancy test result is INVALID because it DOESN'T give any POSITIVE result before 2 weeks of last sex. It is too early for the test. I will hold by this opinion unless there is history of unprotected sexual intercourse before the 26th date.

Presuming, you have not missed any details, I suggest her to wait 7 to 10 days from due date to get period naturally. If she doesn't get her period by this time, she must undergo one blood test for beta- hCG to confirm pregnancy. Early test is insignificant.

Pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation (occurs 14 days prior to due date) and unprotected sex with ejaculation. After ovulation, ovum survives for 24 hrs only.

In this context, she ovulated around 15th July and you did sex on 26th July. So, there is NO chance of pregnancy (on regular cycle) if it was her FIRST sex.

Hope, you should understand the fact and clear confusion. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any query.

All the best and good luck.

Dr S Patra.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad