Is Minoxidil solution effective in treating baldness?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 19 Jun 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: I am going through frontal baldness.. could you please advise me on type of minoxidil solution and derma roller to be used.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be genetic hair loss.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Frontal baldness can be genetic n nature. You can first try minoxidil sol 10% topically directly applied to scalp for a month and then later on shift to 5% solution. Along with this there are medicines like finestride 1 mg & biotin which are helpful .Before taking this you should be under a regular guidance of a dermatologist .These are very effective medicine but has to be taken for long time. Apart from this there are lasers for hair growth (FDA APPROVED) which needs to be taken for initial 2 months .It has amazing results. Then there is MESO-THERAPY which are tiny injections which are directly given on the scalp for growth.
Improve your diet with green leafy veg, fresh fruits, plenty of water, pulses, high protein diet, avoid items with high sugar content like sweets & chocolates, less of Chinese foods, less of pizza & burgers ,take more of milk & ghee & dry fruits . Good sleep also has a important role to play .
Medicines have a temporary role to play if one has familiail hair loss( also known as androgenetic alopecia).
A vigorous rubbing of the scalp with fingers or derma roller is one of the most effective method for the prevention and treatment of hair loss. The scalp should be rubbed vigorously till it starts to tingle with the heat. It will activate the sebaceous glands and energise the circulation of blood in the affected area, making the hair grow healthy.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Hi..I need some guidance regarding minoxidil

. Do I need to apply everyday
. At what time it should be applied
. Do I need to apply shampoo next day

Thanx
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do apply daily.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.

You need to apply Minoxidil daily. Better to apply after a massage at bedtime. You can shampoo your hair twice a week to keep the scalp clean.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee