question-icon

Is Milk of magnesia the right medicine for constipation?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016
Question: Mother 89 years old. Has been constipated for 8 days. Tried Dulcolax and last night pharmacist recommended suppository. Still no BM. She wants to try Mild of Magnesia now. Should I do that or take her to the ER? Our doctor is not on duty. Please help me what to do. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Go to er

Detailed Answer:
hi and welcome.
8 days is significant period,but still not critical. however,if those measures didn't help,I doubt that magnesium will. in this condition only enema or manual extraction would be beneficial so you should see doctor for it. also abdominal xrays is required to rule out colon obstruction. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon