Is Microgynon safe to take while on Utovlan?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi I'm on holiday at the moment and have been taking utovlan to stop my period but was not on any contraception. I need to start taking a contraceptive pill, can I take my microgynon on a non period day? Do I stop taking utovlan or take them together. I'm not sure what to do now.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a good idea

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
I would like to know the date of your last menstrual period and your usual cycle length.
Also j would like to know since when you are taking utovlan and in what dose so that I can advise you better.
But in general it is not a good idea to start contraceptive pill just like that as it increases chances of intermenstrual spotting and contraceptive failures.
Waiting for your response.
Dr Manisha Jain
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 14 minutes later
Hello

My last period was on the 7th March. It's normally quite regular. I only started utovlan this morning, I've only taken 2 of the 3 tablets. What would be the best form of contraception?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No contraception needed

Detailed Answer:
In this phase of menstrual cycle you don't need contraception as there is no egg in your body to form a baby.
Take utovlan as scheduled and let it continue till you don't want periods and then in leaving the drug you will get periods in 3-5 days.