Is Metformin advisable for an elderly patient?
Age is not an absolute contraindication for metformin
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.
Based on the history you have shared, yes low dose metformin can be taken in this case as age is no absolute contraindication for the use of metformin but caution has to the taken with renal functions as with age GFR or normal kidney functions are lesser than normal and this is result of normal age related wear and tear in kindey functional units or nephrons.
Also it can cause lactic acidosis so patient should be assessed for any metabolic derangements beforehand. However the HbA1c that you have shared, is quite under control as below 6.5 and with these sugar levels that you shared, life style modifications and diet control are preferred choice of therapy.
Though metformin has advantage that it causes less incidences of hypoglycemia but with these readings chances still exist. Also if patient is underweight metformin can cause weight loss which on the other hand is beneficial in heavy weighted individuals.
Hope this has answered your query. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Yes food control and excercises can help you achieve control
Hi! Yes fasting sugars and HbA1c are not bad but you don't need to get relax to let it be rather more food compliance and excercises should be continued to achieve better control and hopefully you will do good with such supportive measures without treatment at this range. Regards
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Type 2 diabetic lower back pain after taking metformin advise
- Metformin hcl and metformin
- Metformin xr vs metformin
- Is metformin not advisable before the hsg test
- Metformin versus metformin er
- Metformin hcl versus metformin
- Metformin er vs metformin
- Is it advisable to take metformin prior to hsg test
- Is metformin not advisable to take prior to hsg test
- Metformin vs metformin hcl
- Suggest treatment for UTI post urinary catheterization?
- Suggest treatment for cough during consumption while treating bulbar palsy
- What causes burning feeling in underarm with painful tiny bumps?
- Suggest treatment for pain in shoulders, upper arm and back
- What causes irregular heart beat on exertion in a person post cardiac...
- Suggest treatment for bleeding from gums
- Suggest treatment for the pain associated with post-herpetic neuralgia
- What does persistent nasal bleeding indicate?
- What causes Raynaud's phenomenon?
- What causes chronic heaviness under left rib cage and shortness of breath?