Is Metformin advisable after a CAT scan?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I took 100mg of metformin after contrast for cat scan.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I will say make it at least 48Hours before returning to metformin!

Detailed Answer:

Metformin is discouraged in the period leading up to and after a Ct scan with contrast. I suggest that you stay at least 48hours after the procedure before going back on metformin. Because you have already taken a dose, discontinue and drink much water until the time interval is passed. I will discourage any intense activity during this time and suggest you recommend any unusual symptoms of muscle pain, breathing difficulties or abdominal discomfort.

I hope this is guiding and clears your worries. I wish you well and let me know how this goes.

Kind regards.