Is Meftal P advisable for stomach pain in a child?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 9 Jan 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi my son is 7 year old can I give him meftal p for stomach pain??

Paining left side lower abdominal
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please do not use Meftal - use plain Paracetamol instead

Detailed Answer:
Hi....use only plain Paracetamol for pain. Do not use combination drugs.

Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F.

I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Meftal-P contains Mefenamic acid which is a NSAID. It carries the risk of gastritis and renal problems in the long run. Please do not use Meftal-P.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,