Is Meclizine superior superior to dimenhydramine for motion sickness?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in General Health
Question: Going to Antartica on 24 day trip.
Is Meclizine superior to dimenhydramine for motion sickness.
Can Meclizine be taken with scopolamine patch?
What other motion sickness med would supplement meclizine if needed
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Meclizine generally well tolerated

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

An important aspect concerning drugs used for motion sickness is that the responses differ from patient to patient. Secondly, side effects lso show a great variation from person to person.

Meclizine is generally more tolerated and is reported to produce generally better outcomes for this indication. It is also associated with a lesser probability of dependence. In case the patient presents no significant contraindication, I would propose it first to my patients.

For now, I suggest mainly Meclizine an hour or two before boarding as my first choice. Thanks and hope this helps. In case you need further clarification, feel free asking. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Thanks for your advice.
If Meclizine is being used for sea sickness, but symptoms still remain, what other sea sickness medication could safely be added (while remaining on meclizine)
Lorraine
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try out this option in cincert with your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I would strongly recommend that you associate Scopolamine to Meclizine in the management of severe, or Meclizine resistant motion sickness. Many of my patients have been helped by this combination. I would recommend to discuss with your prescribe and appropriate dose and draw up a good follow up plan.

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj