Is Magnesium Oxide a safe and effective heart supplement?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Vitamins
Question: watched a tv show on heart healthy diet and supplements ... can't remember the name of the DR!
am remembering RC was magnesium supplement (I don't eat XXXXXXX and don't like spinach!) ... not sure what form ... is magnesium oxide put out by naturemade safe and effective? And is the 400 or 250 mg bottle right? I'm 72 ... my heart is (reasonably) healthy ... I don't excersize enough but I'm able to get around ok. I do ride a bicycle.In general is there something I'm missing from the heart healthy dietary supplements? I eat pretty well ... mostly poultry and fish ... lots of veggies and fruits ... 1/3 glass wine with a meal ... dont drink or smoke ... I do eat bread .... remember the doc on tv said keep away from wheat and milk products ... but i do eat eggs and cheese .... occasionally beef and ham ... so what else is necessary to stave off all the ills of growing old except reasonable cardio excersize and social support? What other supplements have I missed out on?!
Answered by Dr. Prasad 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
You doing exceptionally well...

Detailed Answer:

Apologies for the late reply. Well, before we continue to discuss about your question I wish to congratulate you for maintaining a healthy heart. Not many people at your age are able to ride a bicycle. If you are able to do that effortlessly, then in my opinion you will be able keep coronary heart disease away from the next 5-10 years.

As far as magnesium is concerned, it's one of mineral that we require in milligrams (macronutrient). It's principle use is on the bones. However it has key role to plan with regards to heart, muscular and bowel function. Currently magnesium is primarily used in large quantities while treating digestive issues - heart burn, constipation and bone disorder. I am not aware of any case report where magnesium was used in treating organic heart condition except when there is proven deficiency. Therefore presuming you don't have a deficient state, I don't feel you need extra magnesium. If you wish to take it, you may try 400mg a day.

Overall, your lifestyle seems pretty good. Avoid processed food products. Whole grain wheat is ok; milk product should be minimal to null - I am ok with occasional cheese, beef and ham unless you have history of high blood pressure and high cholesterol level. Make sure the fruits and vegetables are as fresh as possible. Also include beans, flaxseeds, nuts, almonds, broccolli, spinach, asparagus and so to prevent coronary heart disease.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 10 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

Thank you for your answer and your clarity ... just a few clarifications?

Could you discuss the consumption of eggs?

I occasionally make an omelet using 1 whole egg and some of the "egg beater" 50% fat free mix in combination.

Then what should I cook with in the pan? Right now I have been using 50% fat-free butter substitute to cook in the pan, and also extra virgin olive oil ... any other suggestions for heart health? I read somewhere to minimize saturated fats.

I also read that wheat products (especially those that include gluton) are to be avoided for heart health ... right now the bread I use is an oatmeal mix that is 50% fat-free. So I'm a bit confused over your note that whole wheat products are OK? Is my bread OK also?

NOW in order to increase FIBER, what specific products should I eat? I thought about raisin XXXXXXX or cheerios cereal, but that would require milk, which you say to minimize … I guess a bit of 1% or 2% milk would be OK to go just with the cereal? I can’t really abide skim milk.

Thank you for your consideration.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasad 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Interested in knowing your weight and cholesterol.

Detailed Answer:

I am interested to know what your current weight is. Is it in lines with current body mass index standards (19 to 24)? I would also like to know about your serum cholesterol levels.

Currently there are plenty of fads on the topic of diet especially with regards to fats and gluten. Both these have good as well as bad effects on heart. Let me clarify.

1. Occasional whole egg is good. Egg yolk is a good source of vitamin D. You would be missing the vitamin D if you miss out on the yolk. However since it also contains plenty of fats especially the bad ones, it should come off the diet on most occasions. I said most occasions and not always.
2. If it's occasional the 50% fat free mix is good.
3. You can use extra virgin olive oils to cook this egg. I would prefer to avoid fat free butter if cooking pan is a non-stick one. Butter has plenty of saturated fats. Even the 50% fat free is loaded with saturated ones. It may be used once in a while, but I will prefer to avoid it every time I cook.
4. Gluten free diet is not an absolute necessity unless you are gluten sensitive. It has plenty of fibres which help in lowering cholesterol as well as improve bowel functions. Moreover wheat has other vitamins and minerals which you will miss. Therefore unless you are gluten intolerant, I don't see a harm in using it. No problem with having whole grain wheat bread. But avoid white bread that is made up of refined wheat.
5. I am ok with you taking milk. It is a good source of calcium that's important at the age of 75. What I am not ok is milk product such as butter and ghee. Skimmed milk is preferable.

Hope my answer is clear to you. Feel free to ask me questions if I am not clear.