• question-icon

Is Macrobid the right medicine for recurrent kidney infection?

Posted on Wed, 11 Mar 2015 in General Health
Question: I was recently treated with Cipro for a kidney infection caused by E. coli, but the infection retuned as a severe urgency to urinate, and the urinalysis culture revealed MRSa in urine. I was prescribed macrobid 100 mg/2 day for five days. I am concerned that this may not be the best treatment considering the sickening kidney infection diagnosis only a week and a before. Your opinion?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic shouod be given for long.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome To HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney.
I understand your concern.
As a protocol we treat THR suspected Urinary Tract infection with antibiotics like Ciprofloxacin and Norfloxacin.
Once the culture report is available we modify the antibiotics like your doctor must have found the organism susceptible to Macrobid so must have started that.
If there is no pus collection in the kidneys and the Urinary Tract infection is not complicated we usually give antibiotics for 5-7 days.
Most important concern here is to find out the cause behind your urine infection. You should get a blood sugar and Ultrasound Kidney and bladder done as in most cases either Diabetes or stone in urinary tract are the culprits.
I hope it helps.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 3 hours later
Thank you for your reply. In your brief answer, I believe you suggest that the Macrobid prescription be for a period longer than that five days, as prescribed. I was seen at an urgent care clinic by a P.A., who it was that prescribed Macrobid. She had also prescribed Flomax, suspecting a kidney stone. I have yet to take the Flomax, waiting instead for urine culture and blood tests results. Blood glucose was 88 (non-fasting) and the metabolic blood panel was all within normal range. The only symptoms at that time was the urgent need to urinate, plus mild flank. Additionally, I am awaiting an appt with an urologist next week. By then I will have completed the Macrobid. No blood culture was performed, and I remain concerned about sepsis...
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get Ultrasound.

Detailed Answer:
Yes your symptoms are suggestive of Stones in renal tract.
You should get an Ultrasound to rule out the status of kidney's and to rule out stones.
If your bacteria is susceptible with Macrobid then , 5 days course is enough in initial stage. After that a Urine culture , microscopy would be repeated to rule out any evidence of persisting infection and you would be treated accordingly.
Most important here is to treat the stones to prevent further UTI.
Stay Healthy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Dr. Anshul Varshney