• question-icon

Is Macrobid or Keflex better for UTI?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I have an UTI and was wondering about Keflex verses Macrobid
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
macrobid treats the bladder mainly

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Macrobid is the trade name for the medication nitrofurantoin, keflex is the trade name for cephalexin.

Urinary tract infections can affect any aspect of the urinary tract including the bladder, ureter, urethra, kidneys,prostate.

Macrobid would mainly be used for urinary tract infections of the bladder because the drug is thought to poorly penetrate other tissues to get into the kidney or prostate for example. This means that it would not be effective if your urinary tract infection extends to these areas.

If your infection is a simple uncomplicated infection affecting the bladder only then it may be helpful for you.

Keflex is a different family of medication, it can penetrate most tissues well so it would be helpful if the infection involves other areas of the urinary tract.

Both are useful against the types of bacteria that are most commonly associated with urinary tract infections.

Summary: (1) can both be used but the keflex can treat more of the urinary tract

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Dr. Michelle Gibson James