Is Maalox safe to take along with citrus fruits for food allergies?

Question
My daughter, age 21, has many food allergies and also a hiatal hernia for which she takes Omeprazole, 20mg daily. As an NP, I have tried to work diligently with her, but am living far apart while she finishes her XXXXXXX year. Can she take Maalox ( I know it's ok with Omeprazole and she should probably be on a twice daily dose of Omeprazole), along with Citrus fruits ( not grapefruit)? I think yes
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can use Maalox...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I am sorry for the health situation your daughter is in.

Now, you are saying that she take Omeprazole for hiatal hernia. The main idea is to advise her eat foods and have drinks that won't cause her stomach to become upset (heartburn or other complaints). You need to follow this rule.

So, citrus fruits are causing the pH of her stomach to drop (making it more acidic). This will aggravate her symptoms. You can try giving her first but together with food, not separately. If she will not have any complaints, then, can take.

With regards to Maalox, as you may probably know, it appertains to the antacid drug class. It contains calcium carbonate that can neutralize her stomach pH. She can use it along with Omeprazole, especially after eating to reduce heartburn.

Hope it answered to your queries and put your concerns at ease!
Dr.Albana