• question-icon

Is MTP kit safe to take for an abortion?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I bought a MTP kit online, it had no instructions and their online support is terrible .. what am I suppose to do? It's a total of 5 pills . Is it safe that I bought it online? I panicked and spent a lot of money when I should have went to the doctor..
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should be taken under medical supervision.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
If the pregnancy is less than 7 weeks, medicines to abort pregnancy are preferred as the success rate is nearly 95%. Medical abortion pills are to be taken as per prescription and correct schedule that your doctor explains to you.
I can explain the general protocol to you, but again, taking them without consulting a doctor is not just illegal, but potentially life threatening.
Generally, 1 tablet of Mifepristone is taken orally.
24 hours later, 2 tablets of 200 mcg Cytotec are taken orally or vaginally followed by 2 more such tablets another 24 hours later.
After this procedure, bleeding and cramping might start within 24 - 48 hours, and continue for upto 2 - 3 weeks.
It is also vital to have a follow up ultrasound scan to check that the abortion pills worked and the uterus is empty, after 15 days of taking the tablets.
Failing to take these precautions , there are risks such as - infection, uncontrolled bleeding, retained products, undiagnosed ectopic pregnancy etc.
And if these steps are followed, the pills work in more than 95 % of cases.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thank you, I will go through a provider instead I was super nervous about taking this without supervision and although you gave me the answers I believe it will be responsible for me to go through the proper steps, thank you for your informative answer.
Brief Answer:
it is best to go through a provider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You should consult a gynecologist for proper guidance.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN