Is Loprin safe for diabetes during pregnancy?

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi

I am 12 weeks pregnant, this is my second pregnancy, I have a healthy 4 year old son from my 1st pregnancy.

I was diagnosed with diabetes and BP in the last month of my previous pregnancy.

My gynac told me to start with loprin 75mg to avoid getting BP again this time,as chances are high due to my previous pregnancy.

I had very light spotting and brown discharge in my 2nd month of this pregnancy, therefore I was advised not to take loprin,

I had my FTS 2days back, and the baby is well and healthy,also my spotting and brown discharge is stopped NW.

Is it safe to take loprin at this point,
I am sceptical as aspirin is not recommended during pregnancy and my BP till now is normal

Kindly advice

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Low dose aspirin after 16 weeks. adopt lifestyle change. regular BP check

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dr. Purushottam welcomes you to HCM virtual clinic!
Thanks for consulting at my virtual clinic. I have carefully gone through your query, and I think I have understood your concern. I will try to address your medical concerns and would suggest you the best of the available treatment options.

1.     First of all do not panic.

2. If your bleeding or spotting has stopped for now, then please do not worry. Also, your recent sonography of 12 to 13 weeks has shown that pregnancy is all normal, please be at ease.
Please do not take aspirin till you complete 14 to 16 weeks of pregnancy.

3. Your concern about use of low dose aspirin in pregnancy is absolutely right.
Usually , I suggest the use of aspirin after 14 to 16 weeks completion of the pregnancy.
There are studies showing positive effects in prevention of pregnancy induced hypertension with the use of low dose aspirin ( 60 to 75 mg) per day.
Also, it should be stopped at the completion of 34 weeks of pregnancy.

4. I will suggest indulging in a healthy diet and regular exercise regime.
Include plenty of fruits, salads, vegetables in the diet.
Have adequate water intake; say 8 – 10 glasses per day.
Avoid deep fried foods, bakery products, and refined sugars.
Start on FOLIC ACID, B12, Calcium and vitamin D supplements.
Use of vitamin C and vitamin E helps to prevent onset of pregnancy induced hypertension.

Please keep watch on your blood pressure at least every 15 days, preferably in sitting position.

I hope this answer was helpful to you!
Please kindly rate it as helpful and write a short review about your experience with me! I would appreciate that a lot.
Thank you and best regards!
Dr Purushottam S Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng