Is Lopid better than other statins for treating elevated cholesterol levels?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Elderly Problems
Question: My cholesterol has been running high for several months. My dr is putting me on Lopid, a fibrate. What's the advantages to this medication compared to statins? I am 61 yrs old and female. I have a history of non diabetic gastroparesis/ rapid gastric emptying, and recently have had some inflammation in small bowel. "There is a section of proximal jejunum beginning just beyond the ligament of Treitz extending for approximately 10 cm which shows abnormal wall and fold thickening. The appearance is somewhat suggestive of the "fat halo sign" or submucosal edema." Are these health issues why fibrates would be better than statins?
These are my cholesterol numbers:

CHOLESTEROL, TOTAL     255 mg/dL     
TRIGLYCERIDES     95 mg/dL     
HDL CHOLESTEROL     70 mg/dL     
LDL CHOLESTEROL     166 mg/dL     

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fibrates are simply gaining popularity with lesser side effects.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Let me try to answer your question in the form of a few points, which would make things simpler for you to understand:

1. Fibrates are increasing in popularity and off late seem to be helping to prevent cardiovascular events in individuals with elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels; some even believe that their level of prevention is better than that provided by statins only, or if statin+fibrate therapy is better than statin therapy alone.

2. Your gastrointestinal history along with the recent findings of the 'fat halo sign' all point towards inflammatory bowel disease, which holds no relevance or relation to statin or fibrate use.

3. Statins also have more side effects in comparison to fibrates, which also includes side effects on different systems of the body, including the gastrointestinal system.

In my opinion the fibrate therapy is certainly worth a shot, or if required for better results you can even initiate statin + fibrate therapy in the future. But trust me, your doctor does have your best interest at heart.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts.

Dr. Shoaib Khan, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad