Is Lithium a safe drug?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: My son is an addict. He is in jail. He has 16 days sober there today. He had a consult with Social Services. They put him on lithium. He asked me to do research so he doesn't "mess up again'.
He is 38 years old. He has substance abused for 20 years,

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lithium is safe to use.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related doubts

I can understand your concern and want to tell you that Lithium is not a drug that has abuse potential. The drug doesn't cause dependence and doesn't make a person addict.

The drug is a mood stabiliser drug and helps to control agitation, excitement and also cause sedation so helps in sleep too. The drug is taken under proper supervision is safe to use and has no serious side effects. Caution should be there if there is any history of kidney diseases, any recent persistent diarrhoea etc.

Nausea, sedation, epigastric distress, tremors, ataxia, dizziness etc are side effects seen in high doses. Other wise the drug is safe to use.

Thanks, Hope this helps. You are welcome to ask a follow up question for more clarifications.