Is Lipitor advisable while suffering from kidney disease?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I have stage 3 kidney disease (BUN 34, creatinine 191, eGFR 38) and my primary care doctor wants me to start Lipitor for my cholesterol (210). I take allopurinol for gout, but no other prescription drugs. My concern is Lipitor's impact on my kidneys. I have read about potential kidney failure resulting from taking Lipitor.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
more likely to occur if there is severe muscle injury

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Lipitor and all statins can increase the risk of muscle injury. In some cases, severe muscle injury can occur, which can cause a condition called rhadomyolysis.

Rhadomyolysis can kidney damage because of the breakdown of the muscles producing substances that damage the kidney.

Most persons who use statins do not get rhadomyolysis. It would be associated with severe muscle pain.

Statins can protect kidney somewhat because high cholesterol can be associated with kidney damage.

Kidney failure or damage is not one of the main possible complications of lipitor

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Who are most likely to get rhadomyolysis? Can I start Lipitor and if I get muscle pain discontinue with low risk to my kidneys?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes, can be discontinued

Detailed Answer:
HI

In rhadomyolysis, the intense muscle break down results in the production of substances that travel to and damage the kidneys.

Yes, if you experience muscle pain, it can be discontinued with low risk to the kidneys