Is Levothyroxine the same as Synthroid?
Levo thyroxine is a generic version of Synthroid. So although it is not exactly the same as brand synthroid, it is considered more or less equivalent.
There has been ongoing debate over this nationwide for some years now as to whether pharmacies can automatically substitute synthroid with generic levo thyroxine, even without needing the prescribing doctor's authorization to do so.
Various states have different rules. Often physicians prescribing Synthroid have to write 'DAW' ie Dispense As Written if they wish to ensure patient is given Synthroid specifically.
The challenge with generic levo thyroxine is that it may not be made by the same manufacturer each time. For example, one batch may come from a given source but if the contract is given to another company then the percentage of active ingredient ie levo thyroxine is not exactly the same every time.
With hormone treatment involving levo thyroxine it is deal to retain the same amount of active hormone being consumed on a regular basis for stable levels in the blood, for best results.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Levothyroxine sodium vs synthroid
- Is synthroid better than levothyroxine
- Levothyroxine synthroid weight gain
- Synthroid vs levothyroxine weight gain
- Levothyroxine vs synthroid side effects
- Synthroid vs levothyroxine difference
- Synthroid vs levothyroxine
- Levothyroxine generic synthroid
- Levothyroxine versus synthroid
- Mylan levothyroxine vs synthroid