• question-icon

Is Lasix advisable for an elderly person?

Posted on Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Can an elderly patient ( 100 yrs old ) without much evidence of CHF but with a BNP of 472 start Lasix by taking 5 mgs for a few days( instead of 10 mgs) , to see how she tolerates it before taking the prescribed dose of 10 mgs/day. Thank you. Also taking metoprolol12.5mgs/day. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on HCM. Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that you should take lasix 10 mg or as prescribed by your doctor because the drug dose is according to your weight or body surface area . Plus it is not a very high dose that you need to worry about . Lasix contains furosemide which is a safe medication and generally well tolerated except that you might urinate frequently . So , I will advise you to take it as your doctor has suggested . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 8 hours later
Thank you. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Its my pleasure if I would have been of any help to you. Dr. Shruti
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist