Is Lasik eye surgery safe while breastfeeding?

Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Nov 2018 in General Health
Question: i want to go for lasik ,my child is 8 month old still continuing my breast feeding but 30 percent ,is it ok to go lasik or should i wait for some more months?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to wait for some time till child grow up. recovery will be proper.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns.

What is the reason you want to go for Lasik. It is too early. Considering his age you can wait for some time. It is indicated for myopia astigmatism. So now for some time you can try specs and after he grows up you can considered refractive surgery. This is my opinion. You can take second opinion after some time. When child grows the chances of complication is less. So there should be proper breastfeeding. Postoperative contraindication like infection like dacryocystitis to be ruled out. Punctum dilatation and syringing should be done. Visual acuity should be assessed by computer so that it can be compared postoperatively.

I hope this information will be helpful to you.

Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash, Ophthalmologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng