Is Lansoprazole the right medication for accidental ingestion of gel pen ink in children?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: My 4yr old daughter seem to have accidentally swallowed 'flair rox' gel pen ink. When I noticed her at around 9pm her tongue was completely thick blue. Immediately I cleaned her tongue for about 10 mins and we rushed to hospital. Based on Doctor's advice we gave her lanzol - lansoprazole 15mg and milk to drink. Doctor advised to come back if at all she vomit. Please give us a second opinion.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry,it won't cause any harm.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

Most pen inks are non-toxic to the human body as they are made non-toxic because of the reason people have habit of sucking the pen or chewing the tip of pen.

It only causes staining of tongue and does not cause any serious problem to our health.

Also,it depends on how much you have swallowed,if one has swallowed in certain good quantity then it may cause gastric upset like nausea or vomiting or stomach pain.However, these symptoms are easily treatable.

If your child has taken in small quantity which has stained her tongue blue then I would not be worried as treating physician.

You can give her lansoprazole 15 mg tablet or syrup to prevent gastric symptoms as prescribed by your doctor.You can also give her oral antiseptic mouthwash for gargles which will be available over the counter.

Otherwise I don't think there is anything to be worried here.The tongue staining may take some time to clear.

See your doctor if she vomits or develops some gastric problem but its chances are very less.

Hope this will help you.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar