Is Lamitor and Premipex the correct medication for bipolar disorder?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Depression
Question: I am diagnosed bi polar depression.my consultind doctor is dr XXXXXXX jhawar from varansi.I am all right now. I am taking medicive from last four years.The medicine I am taking is Lmitor100, BD,prempexole 10,BD, Olnez.5.ODLamitor is for antiepileptics and premipex is for parkinson ,Whille i am not suffering from the above disease.Is the above mentioned medicine are ok for bi polar depression.thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes they are used in depression

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concern. I agree with you that pramipexole is used for primarily for parkinsonism and lamitor is primarily anti epileptic but you might be knowing that every medicine has more than one use.

In your case the use of lamitor is for the treatment and prevention of bipolar depression (it is approved for this indication) and probably pramipexole is added to potentiate the action of lamitor in bipolar depression.

In my view all your medicines are as per the good rules of prescription and there is nothing abnormal with your medicine.

'Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help".
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad