Is Lamisil the right medicine for ringworm infection?

Posted on Fri, 24 Oct 2014 in Skin Rash
Question: My dermatologist diagnosed me with ringworm. He took a biopsy and prescribed me Lamisil 250mg qd for 14 days. I have completed the 14 day therapy and the ringworm has not gone away. In fact, it has still stayed the same size and looks like it may even be spreading. The ringworm is on my inner thigh and it looks like there may be another rash forming. My question, is how long do I need to take the Lamisil before I see the ringworm disappear? Or, have I been misdiagnosed?
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ring worm

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare magic,
I understand that you have done a skin biopsy. Did your doctor start you on ring worm medication after seeing your biopsy report ? It would be great if you could upload your biopsy report. It would also help a great deal if you could upload a photograph of your skin lesion. Lamisil is a good anti-fungal medicine and in the majority of patients it will show improvement by 2 weeks. In a minority the effect won't be good if there is a resistance to lamisil in that particular strain of fungus. However possibility of the skin lesion not being ring worm is more than possibility of medicine resistance. There are some skin conditions like erythema annulare centrifugum, Pityriasis Rosea etc which clinically resembles Ring worm very closely. A skin biopsy can clinch the diagnosis.
Hoping to see the report/photo.
Follow up: Dr. Johny Chacko 17 minutes later
Here's the picture. You can see where the doc took the biopsy. Please advise .
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Ring worm

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the picture.

I have gone through the picture and it looks like a ring worm infection. Lamisil is a good antifungal drug and it might not be effective in your case due to drug resistance.

I would advise to see your doctor and discuss regarding the ineffectiveness and in change of the drug to Itraconazole or any other antifungal.

Along with change of medication maintain good hygiene, avoid scratching the area, wear loose cotton clothes and undergarments and apply antiperspirant powder to keep the area dry.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Johny Chacko

Dermatologist