Is LDL level of 135.4 a cause for concern?

Dr. Sonia Raina

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: My LDL level is 135.4 when checked in my routine check-up (started from this year). The ideal range is <130 or it should be 100 (as doctor said). How could I reduce this to the said figure ?
Answered by Dr. Sonia Raina 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
lifestyle changes to be made

Detailed Answer:
Hello, greetings!
Thanks for posting your query in hcm.
Normal LDL range is 100-129 mg/dL. Any value that falls under this range is considered optimal. Your levels fall at the borderline and this can be corrected by certain lifestyle changes such as:-

1. Avoid saturated fat. Avoid butter, egg yolks and ghee. Reduce consumption of trans fats which are found in processed foods such as cookies, crackers and chips
2. Eat high fiber diet along with plenty of oats, beans, fresh fruits and vegetables. Eat a handful of nuts everyday.
3. Exercise moderately. Go for a brisk walk of 30 minutes or engage yourself in any sport like swimming, biking, etc.
4. Avoid smoking. Quitting smoking increases the healthy cholesterol (HDL) in the body and also maintains healthy blood pressure levels.
5. Try to lose body weight, overweight people tend to usually have high LDL levels.

Incorporate these changes, you may repeat the LDL levels after a span of 3 months to see how far you have progressed. Hope this answer helps you. If you have any further doubts, please feel free to ask. Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad