Is Klonopin harmful on a long term use?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Mental Health
Question: I have been on Klonopin for quite a few years and my doctor wants me off of it.
She is slowly tapering me off, but I am having real problems doing that. Restlessness, not sleeping. What is the harm in staying on it. It must be still working or I wouldn't have all these problems
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could cause dependence and many other problems

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

We as doctors prefer to avoid benzodiazepines (read klonopin) because they are associated with lot of problems at most ages but more significantly with advancement of age. As mentioned above tolerance and dependence are issues across ages but in elderly there are many more problems such as cognitive impairment, sleepiness, falls and fractures among others.

As you can see there is problem with withdrawal which indicates that dependence already set in.

In my opinion your doctor is taking right approach to withdraw klonopin.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.