Is Keppra used for epilepsy?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: 86 year old female in last stages of AHD has had 5 epileptic seizures in last year. Prescribe to take Keppra (2-500mg tablets per day) Is this a typical treatment and what are early stage possible side effects
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a typical treatment.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern regarding side effects.

Keppra in general is a very popular first choice drug to prevent seizures with efficacy in a wide range of seizure types. In someone of that age, in the elderly it is even more preferred, it would be the initial best choice in most cases that age. That is because it has a low frequency of side effects compared to other antiseizure medications and in addition to that it doesn't interact with other drugs (unlike many other antiseizure drugs) the patient might be taking. So I completely agree with that choice.

Most common side effects are drowsiness, fatigue, nervousness, irritability. However less common than most other alternatives.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.