question-icon

Is Ibuprofen safe to take while on Virtussin AC Syrup and LevoFloxacin?

Posted on Wed, 18 May 2016
Question: If I am taking Virtussin AC Syrup and LevoFloxacin, may I also take Ibuprofen for aches and pains?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (41 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
cannot use the ibuprofen with levofloxacin

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Virtussin AC contains codeine and guiafenesin.

There is no interaction with the virtussin AC but there is a risk of reaction between the levofloxacin and ibuprofen.

Use of NSAIDS (ibuprofen, cataflam, naproxen etc) with medications in the levofloxacin family can potentially worsen the effects of levofloxacin on the nervous system.

Most persons use levofloxacin and similar medication with no effect on the central nervous system at all but when meds such as ibuprofen are added , certain chemicals in the nervous system are altered increasing the chance of seizures, tremors, hallucinations

Ibuprofen CANNOT be used with levofloxacin

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James (15 minutes later)
Can anything be used for pain?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
tylenol but this may not be effective for you

Detailed Answer:
HI

Unfortunately the safest at this time would be acetaminophen (tylenol) which may not be effective for you

All the NSAIDS (ibuprofen, cataflam, naproxen, celebrex, ketoprofen etc) would interact with
the levofloxacin

Because the cough med has in codeine, tramadol, cannot be used though some of the other opiates such as oxycodone can be used but would be asosciated with increased risk of sedation

Please feel free to ask anything else
Dr. Michelle Gibson James