Is Hyponatremia a side effect of Metoprolol?

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan, I had a couple of issues working that were making me feel pretty rough. Since, I have had a 90% blockage stented and a 112 blood sodium that sent me to emergency . so far I am feeling better. Sodium is maintaining at 133. I am insecure with the kidney drs remedy to keep the number up I am taking 2- 1 gram sodium cloride, 2- 20 mg furmoside (lasix) with water restriction of 1500 cc of water . Metroprol has been reduced from 200 mg to 50 mg per day. I think my blood sodium issue may be a side effect of the metoprolol. I had been taking 200 mg for about 25 years and consider I may not have been metablizing it the same as I did when I was younger.
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be caused by poor kidney function

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mrs,

Hyponatriemia is a rare side effect of metoprolol.
If there was a gradually kidney function deterioration during years, together with arterial hypertension and medications they could lead to hyponatriemia.
And of course, if kidney function is poor, metabolism of the medications is slower, which could also lead slow heart rate.
It is good that your blood sodium has elevated, with proper diet and low doses of medication it can remain steady.

Come back if there are additional questions or information