question-icon

Is Hydroxyzine good for both itching as well as prediabetes?

Posted on Wed, 11 Jul 2018
Question: Hydroxyzinexpensive stops itching in feet and hands caused by consuming sugar/carbs/wine. I AM PREDIABETIC. AND PREFER NOT TO TAKE MET FORMING TYPE MEDS, INSTEAD NIACIN AMIDE AND B-12 AND ALPHA LIPOIC. BUT WHEN I GET SEVERE ITCH/ ATE WRONG FOODS THE HYDROXIZINE STOPS ITCH.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (29 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Regarding hydroxyzine

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for asking.

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Histamine - released by circulating Mast cells - is a mediator of itch. Hydroxyzine, an oral antihistamine, relieves itching by interfering with the binding of histamine with H1 receptors but it has no role as an antidiabetic drug so you cannot use it as a substitute for metformin for diabetes / pre-diabetes.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist