Is Herbalife an effective meal replacement supplement?

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Ayurveda
Question: Hi, Is it true Dr XXXXXXX Ignarro is Nobel holder? Can I know either Herbalife is really good meal replacement?
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
clarifications and Ideal Supplementation

Detailed Answer:
Dear

Thanks for contacting with your query and health issue and being an Ayurveda Physician I will try to give the best possible answers to your concern(s).

1. Dr. XXXXXXX Ignarro is an UCLA pharmacologist who was awarded Nobel prize in field of medicine [as co-recipient with two others] in 1998 for his work on action of nitric acid that helps the body regulate key functions such as blood pressure and preventing blood clots that can cause strokes.

2. Herbalife is a multinational marketing company and is in business for many decades, and they are there in market to sell their products, so whatever be their claims or as a matter of fact of any company it depends upon your sole decision.

3. since Herbalife is FDA approved thus is good for you and going by your idea of meal replacement do let me know whether you want to use it as dietary supplement or as weight loss programme?

4. I usually tell my patients and ask them to follow the said guidelines.

i. Anything you do, go low and go slow and make changes gradually, as your small changes become habit, you can continue to ADD more healthy choices.
ii. Eat a variety of nutrient rich food but which have some added advantage like:
. Cabbage (cholesterol lowering benefits),
. carrot (helps in liver detoxification), cauliflower (ideal against abdominal problems),
. dates - (best for muscle development),
. onions ( contains flavinoids which protect against cardiovascular disease),
. garlic ( has broad spectrum antibiotic properties)
iii. Daily regime : Don’t skip breakfast;Take your lunch between 12 - 1 PM which is the peak period of Pitta (responsible for digestion); have your dinner 2 hours before sleeping.
ii. Make sure you do not travel long, do strenuous exercise, or indulge in sexual activities within one hour after meal
iii. Proper sleep with proper diet is the key to healthy living in Ayurveda.
iv. Avoid smoking, alcohol, caffeine, eating late at night, stress, drink water instead of colas
v. Practice Yoga, Meditation and go for an exercise regime..
vi. Walk a while after meal to help digestion
vii. Remember good food leads to noble thoughts with sound memory
helping in mental health and social well being

IMMUNOMODULATION:

i.Proteins are essential for antibodies production so milk, egg (white), beans, yogurt, soyamilk, pumpkin, squash, watermelon, peanuts, almonds.
ii. Vitamin A: helps to maintain Thymus gland which is a powerful antiviral gland : thus XXXXXXX carrots, cantaloupe, egg yolk, apricots, pumpkin, papaya are ideal
iii. V itamin C: is needed for proper functioning of immune system: amla is best
iv. Vitamin E: is a powerful anti oxidant which helps to stimulate antibody production: peanuts, dried apricots, cooked spinach, taro root can be taken
v. Vitamin B is important for the activity of phagocytes: eggs, cheese, pistachio, raw garlic, sunflower and sesame oil.

Please revert back for any clarifications and suggestions.

Dr. Munish
Consultant & Physician
Naimittika Clinic
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Im using Herbalife protein as dietary supplement and meal replacement. Such as my breakfast or when im not taking any heavy meal. I always found some of statement said that the soy in any products (Herbalife, shaklee and etc) is not healthy and can cause health problems. But some doctors said soybeans have own good reason to us. I believe Herbalife is okay which i saw they have many scientists and nutritionist. Many of my friends has also improved their healthy. Me too actually. Need explanation about the soys. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Soy review and Healthy Living

Detailed Answer:
Dear

Thanks for reverting back with your concern.

1. Soy is the only vegetarian source of complete protein, and since soy contains phytoestrogens [similar to estrogen] thus are good for females against breast cancer protection.

PS. some studies have linked soy oil with breast cancer due to presence of omega 6 content [which is a marker for breast cancer risk] thus you should talk/consult with your health care provider regarding the same.

2. Since high demand of soy requires industrialized processing thus they are washed in aluminium tanks and as we know aluminium is toxic for nervous system and kidneys, so please avoid processed soy i.e. [isolated soy proteins, soy bean oil and any processed/fast food that contains soy.

3. since it contains certain inhibitors like:
. phytates: which block absorption of minerals
. goitrogens: which block the production of thyroid hormones

Thus make sure you are not suffering from any mal-absorption problem or thyroid disorder which gets aggravated by the same, use fermented soy products instead

4. AVOID:
. Processed and tinned foods opt for fresh foods. Eliminate all cold food and drink; you should eat nothing that is refrigerator cold.
.Avoid potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, yam, nuts, fruits with sweet pulp like XXXXXXX chickoos, bananas and grapes.
. Avoid sedentary lifestyle, day time sleeping after meals, newly harvested rice, curd, butter, ghee, cheese, cream, chocolates, cakes, pastries, ice-creams, XXXXXXX
. Drinking cold water after exercise.
.Oils should be reduced to minimum, avoid deep fried foods like puries,bhujees, potato chips.

WHAT TO EAT:
.start the meal with large bowl of thin soup, followed by good volume of salads prepared with green vegetables (cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, cucumber, sprouted pulses). This will prevent you from taking extra servings of the meals. Drink plenty of water and diluted buttermilk.
.Avoid rice, take roti or phulka,without oil or ghee.The bhaji servings should be prepared from green leafy vegetables,onions,cauliflower’s,lady’s finger, radish, turnips, mushrooms, sprouted pulses. Oil may be substituted by gravy of tomato, onion, garlic, and ginger, in the curry or bhaji for taste.
. For morning and evening snacks, take recommended fruits,vegetables and low fat (skimmed) milk, black tea without sugar has negligible calories.
. Carbohydrates: fat requires carbohydrates to burn, so take them in moderation like grains.

A. DEVELOP HEALTHY EATING HABITS:
. Do not eat only 2 large meals a day. It leads to overeating due to hunger. Take snacks in between. It is advisable to eat a good breakfast and light lunch and dinner.
. Keep a quiet and pleasant atmosphere in the dining hall. Watching TV while eating, talking, arguments, angry discussions all lead to overeating.
. Eat slowly; chewing each bite thoroughly gives a feeling of satiation.
. Do not be tempted to finish up the leftovers.
. Use nonstick cooking ware for cooking

P.S.:
. It is wise to take vitamin and mineral supplementation during this period, to ensure that your body does not lack any nutrients.

Dr. Munish
Naimittika

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 37 minutes later
Herbalife is processed soy or not?
So, your advice and view about taking herbalife shakes?

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Review and recommendation

Detailed Answer:
Dear

Thanks for reverting back.

1. If a product has too many ingredients, it is not natural food but is PROCESSED!
2. They key to weightloss is to reduce the amount of calories you consume. since one cannot be on shakes for the rest of his/her life which means eating the right food is the best and ideal solution for your body.
3. Herbalife is a temporary solution and not permanent way of healthy living which requires good dietary regime and lifestyle modifications:

DIETARY AND LIFESTYLE CHANGES
1.     There is a limit to how much one can exercise every day. An average (non athlete) person cannot run or exercise vigorously for more than 30 minutes i.e. you cannot burn more than 300 calories through EXERCISE everyday! So it is important to control the tongue [dietary regime as explained earlier], along with whatever exercise you do:
½ hour of walking burn 130 calories
½ hour of jogging/running burn 300-350 calories
½ hour of swimming burn 250 calories
½ hour of cycling burn 150 calories
½ hour of aerobic exercise burn 250 calories
½ hour of light exercise like writing/driving burn 50 calories
i.e. if you don’t exercise you consume about 2000-2500 calories per day. To this you Add any of the above exercise protocol to consume more calories, and keep your calorie consumption below 2000 per day and you will be losing weight

1. As you are from Malaysia, and most of the products comes from United states where the soy is GMO [genetically modified soybean] which has been found to cause reproductive problems, sterility, infant mortality thus an experienced nutritionist around your town/city will be of much help to guide you.
PS. unfortunately, almost all of the soy in the US is genetically modified (GMO) and the amino acids are rendered unusable during processing.

2. as there is no regulation on protein shakes to be labelled as GMO, thus if it is not certified organic you should not use it and herbalife is one of them.
PS. Raw Protein/Raw Fit from Garden of Life is a plant based with live probiotics and free from GMOs, gluten,synthetic or artificial ingredients.

3. Ayurveda though is a slower process, but in case of weight loss: haste makes waste, so one has to be gradual in his approach.

Dr. Munish
Naimittika