Is Hepatitis B curable?

Dr. Alokkalyani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in General Health
Question: please my partner was diagnosed of hepatitis B,she took drugs and according to her she was given wrong prescription. she later went to another hospital and was put on medication and after sometime she went for the test and test was negative and according to her the biomedical scientist said it has become mild and not chronic as well but rather acute. she has stop taking the drugs. please tell me whether it is curable. she is also a virgin and i want to know the possible causes once she is a virgin and has not donated blood before. please can it be cured to the extend that it cannot be transmitted to me and our kids to yet to be raised?
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: not curable Detailed Answer: Hi, hepatitis B is not curable, but latest medicines can keep virus at minimum level It spread via blood transfusions, injection s or by mother to child or any mean where person's blood is exposed to virus. It can also spread from sexual partner You should take vaccine of hepatitis B to prevent your self Requirements of medicine depends upon viral loads in body and other blood test, for this you need to see your doctor Hope this is will help If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Alokkalyani 4 hours later
please what is the meaning of the statment acute hepatitis B resolves spontaneous? if it can resolve as i read in a book can it still be transmitted? thus can someone whose immune system has resolved the acute hepatitis B transmit it yo a partner
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. yes, acute hepatitis B may resolves spontaneous in most of the cases. if it clears from the body than it can not be transmitted, and not even to your partner. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Alokkalyani 29 hours later
Please can acute hepatitis B last more than years please can acute hepatitis B last for years? why because my partner was diagnosed two years ago of the disease but before the diagnosis she had done a blood test and she was not diagnosed of the disease. Just a month ago she was tested several times and it was mild and according to the BMS it is acute hepatitis B and not chronic. however according to the book i read it last for 6 month maximally. Please help me out
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 14 hours later
Brief Answer: no Detailed Answer: If hepatitis is more than six months -- it is considered as chronic hepatitis. If it is less then 6 months, only than it is considered as acute hepatitis Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E