Is HbA1c value of 8.3 a cause for concern?
Glucose level 8.3
Trying to determine
- how severe this fig is?
- whether he couldnt try diet + exercise before having to start on lifetime medication which GP has recommended?
- will hear result of hrc2 (or something like that..) shortly - what is that + what is its significance?
We're bit overwhelmed as we try understand the diagnosis + steps to take next
Thanks for your comments, c + d
Course of management will depend on follow up blood sugar levels.
Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.
Hba1c of 8.3 corresponds to average blood sugar around 200 over a period of last 3 to 4 months.
Severity of diabetes is dependent not only on Hba1c level but physical examination, Random blood sugar level at present are also important.
HbA1c help in diagnosis of diabetes, response to diabetes management (will be decided on follow up HbA1c levels).
At present it is important to control his blood sugar levels Fasting, post prandial blood sugar levels & HbA1c level.
For that I may suggest -
- Diabetic Diet : For which one should consult nearby dietitian who can plan diet depending upon patient's height, weight (BMI), food habits.
- Regular exercise : Usually 150 min per week of moderate degree physical exercise is recommended but it need to individualized depending upon effort ttolerance & physical examination.
- Weight control.
- Medications regular medications with regular follow up with your treating physician.
Future course of disease will depend upon follow up blood sugar control and physical examination.
It is not right time to comment on future need of Medicines.
Usually some type of medicines are always required almost for a life time.
I don't understand regarding hrc2. I am not aware of it.
Along with all above I may suggest investigations like -
- Complete blood count.
- Lipid Profile.
- Renal Function Test.
- Liver Function Test.
- Urine examination.
- Ultra TSH.
- Vitamin B12 & D3 levels.
Hope this helps you.
Dr. Abhay Mali.