Is HbA1c level of 8.0 a cause for concern?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Jan 2017 in Diabetes
Question: why is my A1C test so high, about 8.0 when I test my blood sugar is about 85.

YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to monitor blood glucose more often.

Detailed Answer:
Good day.
Noted your question. HbA1c is an average measurement of three month glucose average. Even if your glucose is normal at times, there could be high glucose levels other times . So HbA1c can remain elevated. Hence it's worth checking your post meals and pre meal blood glucose levels at home. Another way is to request your doctor to conduct a continuous glucose monitoring for 3 to 6 days (CGM). "Please Google about Medtronic Ipro CGM.

In addition, HbA1c has many limitations and several medical conditions and drugs can make its measurements inaccurate.
Kindly discuss with your doctor during next visit about doing a CGM.
Binu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy