• question-icon

Is HbA1c level of 5.2 a cause for concern?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Diabetes
Question: I am having a pain in the right knee daily morning when I wake up. It pains for 1 hr and once I start walking, slowly and gradually pain goes of.

My Doctor told me to get my KFT, LFT and Knee Xray done. But as per the doctor everything is fine.

I went for a second opinion and my new doctor said to go for Blood Sugar level test.

I got my HB1AC done which came to 5.2 , but during my fasting test for last 2 days I have got below values:

Fasting Values
Day 1: 99
Day 2: 110, 116 (tested after 5 mins)
In the night at around 12 I had a full glass of rohafzaa and slept. Also had taken 2-3 sips of tea (with sugar) a 10 mins before.

Please let me know is this pain because of me being diabetic and am I really diabetic.

Should I get more tests done?
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HbA1c is in within normal range.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.

HbA1c of 5.2 is within normal limits.
Also Fasting blood sugar level below 100 is within normal range.
Fasting Blood Sugar level should be done with at least 8hours of Fasting (no sugar intake, Ruhafza contains calories).
For diagnosis of diabetes Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) may be suggested.

As HbA1c is 5.2, there is unlikely possibility of diabetes. Better to follow orthopedician for knee pain.

Hope this helps you,

Dr Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Abhay A Mali 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,

My Day 2 Fasting Values are above 100,
110 (In the first round) , 116 (tested after 5 mins)

What is Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) ?

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
OGTT

Detailed Answer:
In Oral Glucose Tolerance Test :
After 8 hours of fasting (period of no calorie intake) Venous Blood sample is taken for Fasting blood sugar level then 75 gram of anhydrous glucose is given to drink 2 hours after that again venous blood sample is taken for blood sugar measurement.

In OGTT, Blood sugar testing done on venous blood sample by laboratory method and not on capillary blood sample as done by using glucometer.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist