• question-icon

Is HSV-1 a sexually transmitted disease?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in General Health
Question: I had an std test, came up negative for everything, including genital herpes, with the exception of HSV-1, which I understand is the virus that causes cold sores (they tested for it to differentiate between oral and genital herpes). Is HSV-1 considered an std, and how high is the risk of transmission during sex and other activities, like kissing?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....explained below
Detailed answer....
I have red your query and understand your concern.
I will reply your queries one by one.
1...HSV 1 is not considered as STD
2....HSV 1 can be transmitted by sex specially oral sex. It can spread through contact with open cold sore through kissing or any close contact. It also spreads through contact with eating utensils,towels,shaving razors or other personal item used by the infected person. Sharing food or drinks or coming in contact with saliva of someone with cold sores can also infect you with oral herpes.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta