Is HIV transmission possible without an intercourse during sex?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi Doc,

just need some clarification on the risk of hiv exposure when there is no penetration, aka genital to genital rubbing between male and female. Genital rubbing occured very briefly between me and a female, (wasn't exactly on purpose, it was more so in the aim the initiate intercourse, which did not happen at all (*no penetration). I know that there is no risk for hiv exposure outside the human body and that female to male transmission is very highly unlikely. I have been to doctors who said nothing to worry about. I have no idea why i'm worrying. The only thing was that i picked up a slight yeast infection from the experience, it was treated as balanitis. Fear has gotten the best of me in this irrational situation, i know testing is an option however would really prefer not to do it
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get tested for HIV, rule out remote possibility

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

As you rightly pointed out, HIV risk through just a genito-genital contact or rubbing, without a penetration, is negligible.
When you got yeast infection through this type of act, and if the woman had lot of secretions, there was a remote possibility of HIV transmission.
So, it is better to have a HIV test 12 weeks after this risky contact and rule out the possibility of HIV totally so that you can be relieved of your mental tension.
Dr S.Murugan.
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 28 minutes later
Brief: Thanks for answer, here is situation in a bit more detail:
1.) Potentially unintentionally aggravated yeast infection.
2.) More fear than common sense for me.

Hi Doc, thanks for the response, not sure if you got this part of the inquiry, i had sent it earlier but it didn't go through.

I placing all cards on the table in aims at getting the best possible response: i'm uncircumcised, which a previous physician said could have contributed to the yeast/balanitis.

There was very very brief oral sex, 5 seconds tops, she performed on me. There was some teeth, however i looked the next day and saw no skin breakages etc, just small bumps looking like penile pearly papules around corona and a line of fordyce looking spots on foreskin. During the 'rubbing' foreskin glands were retracted so no real contact between penis foreskin and vulva. I think it is fear getting the best of me, i hope that breakages were not microscopic to the extent that they healed the next morning and i did not see it , but were sufficient in allowing any secretions to get in :(. I am clueless. I know that on the outside of the vagina aka vulva and lips (i assume this is outside hence the no penetration part/ penis was flacid and at no point passed the introitus). I hope the fact that the tip of penis possibly touching the introitus doesn't mean that there could be any form of transmission of fluids from inside the vagina, pass the opening and into penis glands or urethra (*side note urethra anatomically is not open, only a slit, not real way of anything getting in there, not sure the amount of fluid that would need to go in there to contract anything. however the fact that my penis head etc did not go in I was previously told that this doesn't matter and that i'm minoring on details.

I know the contact was very brief, but still wondered why i picked up a yeast infection because contact was not for more than 2 mins XXXXXXX outside and around vaginal opening. I know that yeast is an organism and can then be passed on via direct skin contact, and that for hiv this is totally not the case. The yeast infection wasn't that bad, not burning in urethra at all (could this mean that no fluid entered ever), i may have aggravated my chances of getting balanitis by using neosporin on the glands and leaving it for hours on end the following day.

2.) I got a really bad sore throat, fever and white-coating of throat, immediately 2 days after the encounter. (i know that hiv symptoms can take up to 2 weeks) this is. I got tested for strep, but it came back negative, however a nurse told me that this usually happens for the majority of tests given are for viral and not bacterial strep. Could this have been bacterial strep, due to the white coating. I ate yougurt and it eased it and took antibiotics and it went away after 3-4 days. However came back a month later i believe because i did not finish the full course of the antibiotics (was given for 4 days, whenever i take antibiotics it's usually a course of a week or more.). Due to the sore throat and red spots and coatings on penis glands/foreskin during this period i decided to go to the physician and get tested for herpes, the test came back negative. I thought that the bumps that showed up immediately the next day on the penis glands after the encounter could be due to hpv, however i know that that takes a couple weeks to months to show any signs. A year later no warts etc, however fordyce spots and penile pearly papules still remain. I'm guessing this is just cosmetic now.

3.) Last point. i had a relatively deep cut on the side of my index finger. I had cut myself on a can about 3-4 hours before the encounter with the girl. The only reason i can even think about this as a worry is because during the encounter i fingered the girl, however to the best of my recollection (85% sure) i didn't use that finger but used the middle finger. Anxiety has the best of me once again and i begin to think thoughts of what if fluid/vaginal secretions from the middle finger touch the index finger at any given point. If the index finger went in, would there be any exposure. Important thing to note was that the finger was not bleeding and had been clotting for the past 2 hours before the event.

To the best of my abilities that explains everything, it makes sense to me that i should be alright, physicians were reluctant to test me in the past, i am reluctant to be tested. Even while typing this, the act of typing it makes me feel better because it makes sense on paper. I guess i go through moments of slight panic attacks thinking about this and then they go away.
I am a healthy heterosexual male who gets annual check ups. I guess i just need some specialist advice
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV test is suggested to rule out HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
1. Occurrence of Infection is not depending on how much time exposed, or whether the urethra is closed or not.
Virus is very minute and very much smaller than a yeast or bacteria.Microscopic abrasions can not be identified by our naked eyes. Yeast infection aggravates the possibility of transmission. Oral sex carries a low risk for HIV.
2.Sore throat might have been due to virus other than HIV. Not necessarily only due to STREPTOCOCCUS as the nurse told. Coating of tongue is common with any infection.
Pearly Penile Papules have no clinical importance.
3. Invisible abrasions have more riskier than the visible abrasion.
The answer for all your question is, Get tested for HIV and rule out HIV.
Dr S.Murugan