Is HIV transmission possible through used needle prick?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi sir m working as staff nurse i got pin prick of HIV patient who is non infected and aymptomatic kind off his level of HIV is 87.5. I was taking his sample and vein was not being pricked only subcutaneous prick it was nd it pricked my hand mucocutaneously, i removed gloves and washed it with in second. Am i on risk?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for PEP.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome to HCM.

As such the risk is very unlikely but still I advice to take post exposure prophylaxis for 28 days. It is available free of cost at ART, Centre of any govt. hospital. If need any help get back to me again.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 26 minutes later
Sir i am taking combination of two drugs one tablet at night is it enough actually my body not tolerating it much so once a day is fine or wat u will prescribe me more?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is absolutely fine.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

I think it is combination of Zidovudine+Lamivudine, once daily which is absolutely fine and you have to take it for 28 days. Minor side effects like vomiting, nausea are common but nothing to worry about.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 6 minutes later
Sir i m getting married soon m very much worried plzzzz assure me that i will be fine im so so tensed
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry at all.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Welcome back once again.

No need to get tensed as PEP is 100% effective so just calm down and get tested with 4th generation Duos test after completion of PEP. You can surely move ahead with your marriage plans as you will be absolutely fine and risk free from HIV.

Thank You