Is HIV transmission possible through protected vaginal intercourse?

Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello doctor,exactly 4 months I went to have a sex with prostitute I used a condom(2 condoms) and I tried to insert into her vagina but I am not sure I inserted then I sat and did a hand job and I tried to insert into her vagina but I ejaculated. After this incident after 2 wks I had fever which lasted for only 3hrs (after taking diclofenac injection)my doctor said it was due to anxiety and again after some days I had fever which lasted for 2 hrs (after taking paracetamol) and also I had muscle stiffness which lasted for 2 days. so my question Is whether did my condom break(I am not sure) and I acquire hiv infection
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV infection unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at HCM
I understand your concern and situation.

Firstly I would advise you not to be worried or anxious. In your case the intercourse was protected which renders you safe from HIV and STD infection. The condom is an effective measure to prevent infections that occurs via intercourse. I would not advise you any testing but yes you can only take the tests for your psychological advantage. You can take PCR test after 6 weeks and HIV ELISA test after 12 weeks.As far as your fever is concerned I would advise you to get complete haemogram done and physical examination done by physician.

Hope I answered your query
Rating and review will be appreciated
Dr Sheetal Verma
Follow up: Dr. Sheetal Verma 5 minutes later
Sir what if my condom(i used 2 condoms)broke (I am not sure)and if I just touched her outside of her vagina with my penis.is there any chances
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Extremely rare chance of HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

It is highly unlikely that the two condom will rupture simultaneously. I would like to tell you that even without condom the risk of infection with HIV positive patient is less than 1%. Then you can understand that with the condom which rupture the chance is still lower. I say the risk is only hypothetical but practically there is no risk. Do not worry. You can take a test to clear all your doubts but as doctor I can say the chance is almost negligible.

Follow up: Dr. Sheetal Verma 6 minutes later
Thank u madam.so all that symptoms I had like fever and muscle stiffness are not due to hiv infection.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes some other cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Yes it appears to be some other cause than HIV. Get the tests done as advised.

Follow up: Dr. Sheetal Verma 1 minute later
Thanks a lot madam
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
:):)

Detailed Answer:
Wellcome