Is HIV transmission possible through protected vaginal intercourse?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello doctor,exactly 4 months I went to have a sex with prostitute I used a condom(2 condoms) and I tried to insert into her vagina but I am not sure I inserted then I sat and did a hand job and I tried to insert into her vagina but I ejaculated. After this incident after 2 wks I had fever which lasted for only 3hrs (after taking diclofenac injection)my doctor said it was due to anxiety and again after some days I had fever which lasted for 2 hrs (after taking paracetamol) and also I had muscle stiffness which lasted for 2 days. so my question Is whether did my condom break(I am not sure) and I acquire hiv infection
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Does not seem to be HIV infection.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic.

I have read your question and narration as said by you and will give you the answer.

First of all, I would like to tell you that HIV infection occurs only when our mucosa linings in the mouth, vagina, penis or rectum come in direct contact with blood or bodily fluids such as semen, vaginal fluid and rectal fluid that can contains HIV virus.

Here in your case, if there was no cut or scratch or even bruise on your penile skin then you need not to worry about HIV infection.

Also,through bare hands or bare body skin, HIV virus cannot get transmitted into other's blood circulation.

The materials used to make most condoms such as latex, polyurethane and polyisoprene do not allow bacteria, viruses or other germs to pass through them.

Therefore condoms act as a barrier to HIV and STDs infection by preventing the mouth, vagina, penis and rectum from being exposed to bodily fluids such as semen, vaginal fluid and rectal fluid that can contain HIV and STDs.

Therefore, do not bother and be rested.Your fever does not seem to be due to HIV infection here.

Your fever could be due to some other infection (other than HIV or STDs) or may be due to anxiety (as your doctor said).

Hope this will help you and if any doubt then you can ask me.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 18 minutes later
Sir what if my condom(i used 2 condoms)broke (I am not sure)and if I just touched her outside of her vagina with my penis.is there any chances
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Almost no chance.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for the quick response.

Almost no chance of HIV transmission even if you slipped your condom or condom broke because HIV infection occurs only when our mucosa linings in the mouth, vagina, penis or rectum come in direct contact with blood or bodily fluids such as semen, vaginal fluid and rectal fluid which contains HIV virus as i discussed earlier.

In your case,if there is no cut or scratch mark or even bruise on your penis (which you must be knowing) then there is no chance of HIV transmission.

However,You can go for ora quick home test to be damn sure or for peace of mind.

Ora quick HIV home test is a recent rapid diagnostic test to detect HIV infection which has 95% sensitivity.

It acts by detecting antibodies present in oral cavity in saliva. If the result comes negative (which is likely in your case) then there will be no requirement of any other test.

Hope this will clear now.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 16 minutes later
Thank u sir.one last question So all those symptoms are not due to hiv infection
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mostly they are not due to HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes,all those symptoms are not due to HIV infection here.They might be due to some other cause,you may go for routine blood works,if fever comes again with other symptoms like muscle stiffness.