Is HIV transmission possible through oral sex?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hello

I am hiv positive. The guy i started dating, today told me he woke up with muscle ache and headache. Little stomach ache as well.

He is hiv negative till now. I was on Striblid for more than 2 months and then i met him. We didn't even had anal sex, he just performed oral sex on me and we kissed and that's it. Didn't ejaculate in his mouth either. The morning he woke up with this symptoms are 25 days after we had "sexual contact".

Is it possible i infected him? It drives me crazy, how can it be? No blood, no anal, me on striblid for 2 months, and still i gave him the virus?

Please some answers.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The risk is very unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

The risk of contracting HIV from oral sex without any penetrative activity is very unlikely so you need not to worry about the exposure as you are already on treatment with striblid since two months.

The symptoms you had mentioned may be due to some other reason not HIV. Consult your physician to isolate the cause, follow the treatment regime & he will be fine soon so just calm down your self.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 days later
Thank you

And a question for me please.

Could striblid possibly cause skin problems like change of colour in certain areas or cause issues with veins etc.

Lately these is a formation on the left side of my body, i guess around where the kidney is, shape of a crescent moon facing down, formed by little red veins (i think). It's a bit worrying and unusual. Any thoughts?

I shall visit an hiv specialist in 2 weeks.

thanks
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to Striblid.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

Skin darkening or skin discoloration and abdominal fat distribution are not known side effects of Striblid. I will also advice to consult your HIV specialist to isolate the cause. Don't get worried, be relaxed and follow the expert advice. For any further query feel free to ask me any time.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 25 hours later
Dear Dr Jangid

Thanks for all your help. Finally i would just like to make sure that these modern drugs such as Striblid do not cause lipodystrophy here and there.

I am generally fit, 31 years old, mediterranean white caucasian, 1,87 hight, 87 kg and i exercise a bit everyday. I hope the drugs won't affect my appearance, fat distribution and other things that will make my condition obvious or at least possible to imagine i might have the virus.

thank you
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't get over anxious or worried.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back once again.

You are becoming over anxious or worried nothing else so just calm down because lipodystrophy is not very uncommon side effect of Striblid. For any further doubt just feel free to ask and I am always here to help you.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee