Is HIV transmission possible through contact with used band aid?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Sir/ madam, I am a male of age 36. On 15/08/2016 at about 8 PM I went to a hospital to meet a relative and in the corridor near the dustbin I felt that I put my foot( I was bare footed) on some gum like material. I didn't emphasized it much. After about 20 hours of that incident I masturbated. But after that I found that perhaps I stood on an used bandaid (or any other material having adhesive gum) in the hospital because the gums of the bandaid (or any other material) were still there. I dont remember whether I have touched the gum with my hands before masturbating or not. If that bandaid is used by some HIV positive person then is there any chances of HIV infection in this way ???? Do I need any HIV test for this incident or not ??? Please help me.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You do not require HIV testing

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in.

It is extremely rare that the gum like material was from a band aid used by a HIV patient.

Even if it was a band aid which was used by a HIV patient then also there is no risk of HIV because the virus will not be alive 20 hours in the air.

HIV virus is destroyed in few minutes with exposed to air and the band aid possibly did not have any active HIV virus when you stepped on it.

You do not require any HIV test and are safe.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj