Is HIV transmission possible by deep kissing?
I am a male of 31 years of age. About 38 days before I had sex with a CSW. It was protected vaginal sex and protected oral sex. Also there were deep throat kissing which lasts almost minute. Since last 3 weeks I have sore throat and mild joint pain. No real fever. Some times during afternoon time temperature raise up to 37.2 degrees centigrade.
The sore throat was mild but was a one point pin like feeling. During disposing phlegm stain of blood coming out. Phlegm was green or yellow in color. I went to doctor and he tested chest X-ray and found no problem.
I tested HIV 3rd Generation antibody test after 19 days of exposure, which came negetive.
1. Are my symptoms related to ARS?
2. How much possibility to have HIV contraction through deep kissing?
3. What can be the cause of blood in the phlegm?
4. One ENT specialist told me that the partition of nose is little bended. Is there any relation with this and my symptoms?
5. I am feeling little week, but that I think mostly because of anxiety.
6. Is there any significance of my 19 days HIV test result?
7. I also have popping noise from joint.
I had another sexual encounter 163 days before, where condom slipped during sex. I did 4 HIV 3rd Generation antibody test. After 10 days, after 37 days, after 44 days and after 106 days. All came negative. I did the test from SRL diagnostic (Local collection center). I don't know how authentic they are.
I am very much scared because of my continuous phlegm and recent joint pain. Can you please clarify my all doubts.
Less likely chance of HIV infection
Welcome to health care magic.
I have gone through your detailed query and I understand your concern regarding the exposure you have had.
I am suspecting streptococcal sore throat or pharyngitis in your case based on your symptoms.
Pharyngitis usually presents with phlegm and blood but this will reduce after antibiotic treatment.
I suggest you get appropriate antibiotic therapy for 5-7 days and complete the full course for faster recovery.
Avoid cold foods and drinks for 5-7 days.
Salt water gargling will help reduce the pain in the throat.
Coming to your other queries, answers are as follows:
1. Your symptoms are not related to acute retroviral syndrome which usually presents like a flu, with fever and swelling of lymph nodes.
Moreover, clinical diagnosis of HIV infection in early exposure is not reliable. Diagnosis of HIV infection is confirmed only by laboratory testing of blood sample.
2. Less likely chance of HIV transmission by deep kissing because the saliva in adults contains non specific inhibitory substances like fibronectin which can prevent cell to cell transfer of virus. Thus saliva is not likely vehicle of HIV transmission.
3. Pharyngitis causes inflammation of the throat which might cause superficial blood vessels to swell and rupture to cause very small amount of bleeding.
This will reduce once the inflammation reduces.
4. What your ENT doctor has told you is called deviated nasal septum or DNS where the nasal septum is slightly deviated and this condition makes you get a sinus infection because of improper drainage. Your symptoms are not related to this condition.
5. You are right, that you are anxious and that might cause generalized weakness, I suggest you destress and quit worrying unnecessarily.
6. HIV antibody test should be done after 3 weeks of exposure as it takes the body at least 3 weeks to develop antibodies against HIV. If you are still doubtful about HIV test result, I suggest you repeat the test after 1 month from now to confirm the diagnosis. Mind you, this test is to confirm your HIV status.
7. Joint pain or swelling needs to be examined by an orthpedician to come to a diagnosis. Please get in touch with an orthopedic doctor for detailed examination.
If HIV testing is done by an authentic lab, you do not have to worry about the reliability of the test results.
I hope I have cleared all your queries.
Please get back if any more clarifications.
I have the following questions as well. First to let you know that the medical facilities at CIS countries are very poor. Therefore I can not depend on it.
1. Can joint pain and my respiratory infection without fever be ARS symptoms?
2. How reliable is SRL Diagnostic?
3. One doctor in Kazakhstan said I have one lymph at neck slightly swelled. It is just one. Is there any co-relation?
4. As I understood that fever is the main ARS symptoms? Am I right about it?
I understand your concern about medical facilities in your country but HIV testing kits have to undergo a strict round of quality testing before being released in the market for use as there are so many moral and legal issues involved in diagnosis of HIV.
The test kits have to be FDA approved to be used in all labs. I suggest you visit the website link below to know the FDA approved brands of HIV test kits and enquire which brand was used by the lab you are mentioning in your query.
Link - http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/BloodBloodProducts/ApprovedProducts/LicensedProductsBLAs/BloodDonorScreening/InfectiousDisease/ucm080466.htm
Answers to your other queries:
1. ARS is associated with fever, lethargy, skin rash and lymphadenopathy. It usually presents like flu. But there are many HIV positive individuals who do not present with any symptoms at all. Hence clinical diagnosis is not reliable.
2. Please check with SRL diagnostic lab which kit they have used and is it FDA approved. If it is, then you do no have to worry about the reliability of the test results.
3. One lymph node swelling in neck is not so significant. Lymph nodes can get swollen in sore throat. I see no co relation of this node with HIV infection.
4. I have explained about ARS symptoms in the first answer.
I hope I have cleared your doubts.
Please let me know if I can assist you further.
Prescribed treatment adequate
Your treating doctor has suggested correct treatment and I would suggest you continue the treatment and complete the full course.
Brufen can be taken for joint pain.
Wishing you a speedy recovery,
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Routes of transmission of hiv possible tasks
- Is hiv transmission possible through breast milk
- Is transmission of the hiv virus through a mosquito possible
- Is it possible to get hiv after kissing
- Is hiv transmission possible through oral sex
- Is hiv transmission possible through saliva
- Possibility of hiv transmission through touching wounds on finger
- Mode of transmission of hiv throught mouth kiss
- Is hiv transmission possible after getting a tattoo done
- Is hiv transmission possible after protected sex