Is HIV test done post 7 weeks of exposure conclusive?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello doctor,
I would like to know how accurate are results after 7 weeks and after the 3 month mark what causes some people's antibodies to not show up during testing?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It depends on the test type!

Detailed Answer:
HiHi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear of this worry about HIV. If you take a test that looks for the viral particles, at 7weeks, the results are reliable and definitive. If the test looks for antibodies, then at three months the results are definitive. In most persons, if they are negative at three months on either test, they are truly negative and there is no reason for further worries. Several people say there is a delay in producing antibodies and a test can remain negative, this happens in very very rare cases.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 minutes later
Hiv test
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The answer above relates to HIV test!

Detailed Answer:

The answer above applies to all the possible scenarios with HIV testing.

I wish you well and let me know if that addresses all your worries.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 5 minutes later
How rare it is and what causes some ppls antibody to not show up after 3 months and how late can it show up?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
At three months, if there are no antibodies, it means you are safe!

Detailed Answer:

If after three months there are no antibodies in blood, then you are truly HIV negative. If they develop later, it is probably from another exposure later in life that led to that and not from the indexed exposure. I have not seen these scenarios in real practice with more than 3000 clients in my cohort.

Be cam and not worried about this any more unless there is something that you have not told me.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 9 minutes later
The person i had exposure with was in vietnam and she said that she had a moped accident and went to the hospital and before she was treated they took her blood and she said she has doesnt have hiv. But she said she had sex with her ex 1 or 2 months before she met me. And i met her 2 weeks after she got into her accident. What are her chances of getting it and giving it to me. I had sex with her about 8 times and im also unsure of the person she had sex with hiv status. Ive been having really bad anxiety so i want to know as much as i can
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Very little chances!

Detailed Answer:

The chances of contracting HIV from her are very slim. Even if she got contaminated, the viral load was still so low that it would have been impossible to transmit to you. For now, you are otherwise on the safe side but watch out for future exposures. I Wish you well and keep me posted.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 18 hours later
I honestly been having really bad anxiety even knowing my chances are very slim but its hard that i need to wait 4 more months for the 6 months mark. Idk what to do...
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do yourself justice and deny to be unnecessarily hard on yourself!

Detailed Answer:

All is well. There is jut no reason to get worried. I have reviewed this information severally and there is no room for possible transmission. Why are you bothered? You even fear the point that even assurance and reassurance fail to help you get over your anxiety?

NO. Be more friendly towards yourself.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 hours later
hello i need an honest answer if a person is positive with hiv 6 months after exposure. They took both the antibody and viral load test at 6 months. If the antibody test comes out false negative, is it true a that 100 percent of people with hiv at 6 months would have a high enough viral
Load to be detected by then?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 days later
Brief Answer:
Viral can be detected as early as 45 days​

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Viral load becomes detectable to a level considerable for diagnosis much around 45 days after exposure. Viral load test is much reliable compared to antibody test which comes positive in different people at different duration post exposure.

After 6 months, whether or not antibody gets detected, viral load will be high enough that no test misses it.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health