Is HIV test done 28 days after exposure conclusive?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: My condom was broke with sex worker in thailand before finish and I am go to HIV test after 28 days test is negetive but now a 7 days I am suffer with loose motions what I do and can I again a test after 3 months please help me .
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antigen based tests are reliable at 28 days after the exposure.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

Broken condom is more risk for the woman rather than the man. So your risk is not raised much because of the broken condom.

Loose motion can occur to anybody especially with whom eats outside the house. It is not a very common symptom for early HIV manifestation.

Regarding the test, what type of the test you had, not been mentioned. Common tests (Rapid, ELISA) available are antibody detection tests. They will be reliable only after the window period (6-8 weeks, in some cases up to 12 weeks after the contact). The antigen based test (PCR, P24 Antigen tests) only are reliable by 28 days.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 24 hours later
sir i am sending you own test report please review and give any suggession
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are free from HIV 1 infection which is the commonest.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
LAL PATH LAB results are highly reliable. It is a Combo 4th generation HIV test and highly reliable. This test comprises of two parts. P 24 Antigen part and detection of antibodies against HIV 1 and 2 is the other part of the test. The antigen (P24) part will become reliable from 1st week on wards, whereas it would be more conclusive by 3-4 weeks after the exposure. But this can detect only HIV 1 infection and not HIV 2 infection (which is very rare and prevalence less than 1%) whereas the antibody part would become conclusive by 12 weeks (after the window period). So the non reactive result indicates that you are free from HIV 1 infection. But the HIV 2 can be ruled out only after 12 weeks with this test.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
what is the chances as per report and should i go for test after 12 week please suggest me.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your risk for HIV 2 infection is a remote possibility

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

HIV 1 infection is prevalent throughout the world up to 99.5% except in few parts of XXXXXXX where the HIV 2 infection is prevalent up to 20-25%. The rest of the world has a HIV 2 prevalency by less than 0.5%.
You had an exposure with broken condom. That itself has very less risk for you. HIV 2 is already very rare to get.
So your chance of getting HIV infection is remote possibility. But having a test after 12 weeks will assure an extra confirmation that you are free from HIV, so that you can relax. Even if you ignore that test, the risk is almost negligible.
Dr S.Murugan