• question-icon

Is HIV infection possible after unprotected anal intercourse?

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I would really appreciate your help on this. I’m writing from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

My problem is…I have known a transvestite sex worker for more than a year and to my knowledge, she has never shown any symptoms of HIV infection. Yet, today I made a foolish mistake and had an anal intercourse with her.

As soon as I penetrated her, we realized that the condom burst and I immediately withdrew. The exposure was about a second or so.

I freaked out and she told me that she is free from diseases. I fingered her before penetration using baby oil as a lubricant.

I am now worried about contracting HIV. Should I be extremely worried?

Your immediate response will be very much helpful. I am terribly anxious now.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes you should do a 4 th HIV generation test after 4 weeks of exposure .

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing in healthcaremagic.

Based on your history I think you should know that an insertive partner (as you are in this situation) is also at risk for getting HIV during anal sex because HIV may enter in your body through the opening at the tip of the penis or through small cuts, scratches, or open sores on the penis(exposed in your situation because of the condom burst).
So, based on these facts I think you should do a 4 th HIV generation test which is accurate 3-4 weeks after a possible exposure.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist