Is HIV infection curable?

Posted on Wed, 13 May 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I have recently been diagnosed as hiv positive and my CD4 count is 993. Should I start the treatment right now? Would I die soon?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
CD4 count below 500 cells is the indication for ART recommended by WHO

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCMm.
HIV is no longer a killer disease. It is a well manageable disease with drugs and life style modifications. You can live like anybody who had not been affected by HIV. Recent views by expert says 'Hit early, Hit hard' before the immune system and other systems of body gets deteriorated. Commonly practicing guidlines, CD4 count below 500 cells is the indication for ART. It depends upon how you feel and also decided by your HIV physician who is going to treat you,
DR S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 10 hours later
should I get viral load test done? so far I haven't got it done. what should I do to maintain/impove my CD4 count?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
viral load is a must. protein rich diet helps to maintain CD4 count

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back
Of course viral load test is a must before starting treatment. It will help to assess the severity of the disease, response to treatment, prognosis and monitoring. Viral load test is more sensitive in assessing the prognosis and response to the treatment than the CD4 count.
Avoiding spells of minor illness, good protein rich and hygienic nutrition will help to maintain the CD4 count. HIV physician or counselor will guide you better.
Dr S Murugan

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist