Is HIV antibody test done 3 months after the exposure conclusive?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Is there certain health issues that cause people to produce antibody after 3 months for hiv test? If so how late can it take for it to show up?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Immuno-suppressive drugs and ART can delay antibody formation.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
In a normal individual and with normal situations, the HIV antibody tests done 3 months after the high risk activities are very much conclusive.
If the individual is on some immuno-suppressive drugs like steroids, Cyclosporine (transplant recipients), anti cancer drugs, then the window period for HIV test can be prolonged up to 6 months and not more than that. If the individual took some sort of ART drugs either as Post exposure prophylaxis or Pre-exposure prophylaxis and if they were not able to complete the course as prescribed or poor compliance or poor drug adherence, in this situation the appearance of antibodies against HIV can be delayed up to 6 months. I hope that you got the answer for your question.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 14 minutes later
So as a nornal person i smoke marijuna and cigs and have no exsisting health issue .i am also taking xanax due to anxiety about this matter.th Hiv antibody test after 3 months should be 100 percent accurate if neg right?e
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Marijuana smoking can delay HIV antibody formation beyond 12 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Tablets Xanax have no effect on antibody formation against HIV. But the possibility of an immuno suppression with smoking of Marijuana can not be ruled out, so there could exist a possibility of delay in HIV antibody formation beyond 12 weeks.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 6 minutes later
But what if i quit smoking marijuana for 5 weeks until my next test which os at the 3 month mark? Ive quit for 3 days now. Will it still effect the test. But other than that a normal person after 3 months of taking a test should come out with 100percent if it comes out neg right?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The test after 3 months with abstinence of Marijuana smoking may bereliable

Detailed Answer:
HI,
Welcome back.
It depends upon how long the remaining effects of Marijuana is existing in your body and also the immune system takes some time to recover back. These effects may vary person to person. Most often 5 weeks abstinence from smoking Marijuana would be sufficient for the recovery of immune system and your test can be reliable to the maximum extent. But I can not use the word it will be 100% reliable.
Dr S.Murugan