Is HIV PCR RNA test done after 8 days conclusive?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi Doctor,

How accurate is the HIV PCR RNA test 8 days after exposure? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
HIV RNA PCR 8 days after exposure reliable to an extent but not conclusive

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
HIV RNA PCR test are two types. Qualitative and quantitative tests. Quantitative RNA PCR test is useful to assess the prognosis of the disease and also to assess the response to treatment. Moreover it is the earliest indicator for a virological failure during treatment.
Qualitative RNA PCR test will be useful as a diagnostic measure. It can detect the presence of disease (if present) as early as 7 days but can be considered more conclusive by 3-4 weeks after the exposure. It is highly reliable but can detect only the HIV 1 infection and not the HIV 2 infection. Qualitative RNA PCR for HIV 2 is available separately.
HIV 1 infection is more common to the extent of 99.5% throughout the world except certain parts of XXXXXXX HIV 2 is prevalent less than 0.5%. I hope that you got the information you want to know.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 20 minutes later
Thank you doctor that was very helpful.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
If you have any more questions related to this subject, feel free to ask .
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 2 days later
Hi again Doctor,

How about Herpes HSV 1&2, can it be detected using PCR after 8 days of post exposure?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Clinical presentation is itself clinch the diagnosis in HSV infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
HSV 1 and 2 IgM antibodies can be detected early in the disease than that of HSV IgG antibodies. I don't have much experience with the HSV PCR test. We are not testing HSV PCR for our patients as the clinical presentation itself is very much diagnostic. If at all, we used to do Tzanc smear and IgG and IgM antibody test. But 8 days is early for any test to rely. 30 days you can have reliable reports. PCR test though appear early, becomes more conclusive by 1 month.
Dr S Murugan
A if 2 weeks pass by with no herpes symptoms from post exposure, is it likely that its not there?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are unlikely to have HSV infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Welcome back.
Usually if you contracted Herpes simplex infection, it would have manifested by this time. As long as you are free from any symptoms like tiny grouped vesicles and tiny grouped sores, you need not worry about HSV infection.
Dr S Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 10 minutes later
what i am experiencing now doctor is sensitive burn inside penis urethra and uncomfortable feeling in groin...but no signs of above...i saw a urologist last sunday who gave me 250mg azithromycin but the feeling hasnt disappeared, it slightly got better...i did the following attached lab test also on thursday...im not sure why its not gone yet, is this normal?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms are not related to HIV/STD as per your test reports.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
All your tests were within normal limits, not indicating any infection. Regarding your discomfort in urethra consume not less than three liters of water per day. If not relieved, examine your urine for deposits. If there is more than 5 pus cells, then submit the urine for culture and sensitivity test. As per the outcome of the report, treatment has to be planned. Regarding discomfort in the groin, consult a Dermatologist. It is not related to STD /HIV or to the sexual activities.
Get well soon.
Dr S Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 10 hours later
Thanks again doctor, really appreciate it.
Actually i just got back my test results which i took 8.5 days exactly post exposure, would you advise that i repeat those tests again?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All tests were within normal limits

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
All the test reports were within normal limits. No abnormalities. But 8.5 days is too early to predict the reliability of these tests. Better repeat the tests as per your physician 's guidance.
Dr S Murugan
I actually do not have any physician that i am coordinating with, when do you recommend i repeat these tests? and which type of test would it be?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Different tests have their own window period. Physician 's guidance need

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Tests for Syphilis and Herpes are reliable by 4 weeks after the exposure.
HIV, HBV, HCV tests are reliable 3 months after the exposure. PCR tests for HIV, HBV, HCV are reliable by 4 weeks after the exposure. But it is better always to have the guidance of a physician to have these tests and for their interpretation according to history and clinical examination.
Dr S Murugan