Is HIV PCR RNA test done after 20 days conclusive?

Dr. Rishi

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: How accurate is the HIV RNA test if taken after 20 days? I also took the Ag/Ab EIA and HIV rapid test at 20 days as well. All negative. Can I be sure?
Answered by Dr. Rishi 8 minutes later
Hi, HIV test is quite accurate.
But one can only be sure by repeated testing after a few months approximately 6 months. Then it would be better to be sure.
Take care and click Thanks if this answer helped.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Rishi 5 minutes later
Okay. I am only worried about a single exposure with a csw in the U.S. The exposure was protected from what i can remember but I am wondering if I can take the negative tests with confidence?
Answered by Dr. Rishi 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I dont think you need to worry if you have used protection.

Detailed Answer:
If there was protection then you need not worry in the first place.
Tests are pretty accurate but in some cases the virus take weeks to months to incubate in the body and shows up later in the tests. That is why I suggested repeat testing.
But if you know about the protection and how much you were in contact with the CSWs sexual secretions then I can better comment.
If the partners sexual secretions have been in contact with your penis or anus or some other part then only is this a possibility, otherwise there is no need to worry.
Take care and do let me know if there are other queries on this issue.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rishi 12 minutes later
Yesterday i took a 4th generation HIV Ag/Ab EIA test. It will have been 7 weeks after the possible exposure. Will this one be conclusive?
Answered by Dr. Rishi 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes this should be highly accurate but not 100%

Detailed Answer:
This 4th Gen test is one of the best but not 100% conclusive.
In some cases they could be falsely negative and you would have to wait for another few months for confirmation.

Take care and all the best.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX